Many of these benefits are no different for seniors (55+). As we get older, muscles tend to stiffen, our joints lose their range of motion and we become more susceptible to chronic problems such as osteoporosis, arthritis and heart disease. Yoga can help slow down the effects of the ageing process by maintaining muscle softness and flexibility, keeping the mind alert and awake, encouraging relaxation and strengthening muscles and joints. Its multi-pronged approach can encourage the body, mind and spirit to remain healthy and strong while reducing the effects of many age-related issues.
If you are a senior, regular yoga practice (2-3 times/week) can play an important part in keeping you healthy, because yoga helps:
• Reduce swelling in joints
• Increase joint mobility and strength
• Improve balance and stability
• Reduce chances of having a fall
• Improve cardiovascular health
• Aid digestion and elimination
• Improve sleep
• Lower blood pressure and cholesterol
• Improve blood flow
• Improve mood and well-being
• Recovery from surgery
• Aid in the grieving process
• With depression and anxiety
Please bring a mat to each class. Door promptly shut at scheduled time. No late entry due to safety issues. We look forward to seeing you at Glazier!