Monthly Events Calendar
Please call the Hockley office at (713) 274-3220 to
verify times before starting a new activity
Join us on a bus trip to Beaumont as we visit the McFaddin-Ward House Historic House Museum. The McFaddin home was one of a number of grand residences built in town by local architect Henry Conrad Mauer in 1905-06. Mauer trained at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York, and incorporated local materials with the most advanced electrical, heating, and plumbing systems of the time. The home was initially built for Colonel W.C. Averill and his wife Di, the sister to W.P.H. McFaddin. After living in the house for several months, the Averills decided to trade houses with the McFaddins, who lived nearby. In early January 1907, the McFaddins moved in. When W.P.H. and Ida Caldwell McFaddin moved their young family, two sons and one daughter, into their house in 1907, Beaumont was still enjoying the economic effects of oil at nearby Spindletop in 1901. Having already accumulated considerable wealth from the cattle business, rice farming and milling, the family prospered even more after Spindletop, since Mr. McFaddin owned part interest in the land where oil was discovered. The house served as a beautiful backdrop for the frequent entertainments and elegant parties the McFaddin’s hosted. In 1919, the McFaddin’s daughter Mamie married Carroll Ward, and the couple moved into this house with her parents. They lived their entire lives there, making few changes to the house or it’s décor after 1950. The grounds also include the original carriage house added in 1907 and a beautiful garden. The home was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and is now a museum dedicated to the McFaddin family that inhabited it for 75 years. After visiting the museum we will enjoy lunch at the Crazy Cajun.
Learn how to play Mah Jongg using rules of the National Mah Jongg League. Mary Ann McBride is our instructor.
This circle is for fluent German speakers who would like to keep up their language skill. Join us to talk about recipes and for general information exchange, crafts and singing.
Join us on a bus trip to The Oleander City, know as Galveston. At our first stop we will visit Seawolf Park, located on Galveston’s Pelican Island on a former immigration site. The park is home to many attractions, including the WWII submarine USS Cavalla and one of only three destroyer escorts in the world, the USS Stewart. The remains of the WWI tanker S.S. Selma, the largest concrete ship constructed, can be seen northwest of the park’s fishing pier. The USS Cavalla is berthed in Seawolf Park as a memorial to the lost submarine USS Seawolf. Cavalla was a Gato class fleet sub, designed and built in the summer of 1943 by the Electric Boat Company and launched on November 14, 1943. She was commissioned on February 29, 1944, the first “leap year” boat built by E.B. On June 19, 1944, on her maiden patrol, she sank the 30,000 ton aircraft carrier Shoakaku (veteran of Pearl Harbor and Battle of Coral Sea). This earned her the Presidential Unit Citation. The USS Stewart began her patrols out of Miami, then as a “school ship” training student officers out of Norfolk, VA. She escorted President Roosevelt in the presidential yacht down the Potomac River to rendezvous with USS Iowa for his mission to Casablanca and Tehran. Stewart moved to the Pacific theater in mid 1945, and conducted training exercises out of Pearl Harbor until the end of the war. She was decommissioned in late 1945 and changed berths three times before arriving at Seawolf Park in 1974. After touring the park, we will enjoy lunch at Shrimp N Stuff. Our last stop for the day will be the Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig and Museum. Built in 1969 at the Bethlehem shipyard in Beaumont, Texas. It drilled about 200 wells, operating in water depths up to 175 feet. The Ocean Star was up for scrap sale when it was purchased by the Offshore Energy Center in 1995. Through the generous $3.6 million contribution of the oil and gas industry and individuals, the Ocen Star Museum was opened in April 1997. Today, after walking along an elevated walkway overlooking Pier 19, you can wander the floors of the museum on your own. The first level is dedicated to the search for oil through seismic exploration. It also provides access to the pipe deck through an exterior door. The second level has models and graphics that explain the modern drill rigs and the differing situations in which particular production drill rigs are used. The third level provides information on transportation, safety, life on a rig, and access to the drill floor via skyway over the entire drill platform.
Join Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Agents Lora Jorgensen and Kristina Brown for an interactive youth planting program focused on growing and using herbs! Registration is limited to the first 30 youth (ages 6-11) to sign up. Call (713) 274-3220 for more information.
Join us as we create these festive garden creatures using tin cans. From ladybugs, bumble bees, or wherever your creative mind takes you. We will "bee" buzzing with excitement!
Please note that anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult while participating in activities at Harris County Precinct 3 Community Centers.
To sign up, call (713) 274-3220 or you can go to the
Harris County Precinct 5 Constables website.
Click on Department Programs
Click on RAD Women’s Self Defense Class